The 30th Of September 2016: Gateway To New Metal

As I've said before, the 30th of September was a special day, since it's not everyday that not 1, not 2, but 3 great bands release new albums.
Without further redo (just apologies for the delay), we can get right into this metal storm.

1. Asphyx - Incoming Death
You know me, we can only start with the Death portion. Asphyx are one of the best around, and I actually think that Incoming Death is my favourite among the modern Asphyx records. Division Brandenburg might be the best song in here. If you still want other Asphyx stuff, go HERE.

Asphyx - Incoming Death

2. Negura Bunget - ZI
A mixed bag in my eyes. When I think of Negura Bunget, I think of some of the greatest Black metal my country has had to offer. Maiastru Sfetnic and 'N Crugu Bradului are statements that inspiration and talent can come from any misty forest, be it in Romania or Finland (OM is overrated). Fuck, even TAU was a great record and that was received poorly by many. ZI has some amazing moments, like the godly transition between acoustic and Black on Gradina Stelelor, or the build-up on Tul-ni-ca-rand, but the album is littered with filler, and mostly boring filler. That means that ZI is only a background listen, and it passes very fastly, since there isn't much Black on these 6 songs. One of them is a folk song, damn it! A good one, but not a Negura Bunget one.

Negura Bunget - ZI

3. Opeth - Sorceress
I've bragged about listening to Sorceress in advance, but is it any good? Yes and no.
Imagine this: you had a tiring day but a good sleep, and you wake up 1 hour early. You go out on the balcony, light a cig and sip a warm coffee. You'd want a very... calm, relaxing album to go with that, wouldn't you? Sorceress is exactly that. It IS for the faint of heart. It's moments of metal are few and far between, with a lot of ProgRock along the way. You might have noticed Opeth are now one of the regulars here o Metal Hut, since we've had Orchid (HERE) and Blackwater Park (HERE), but Sorceress is not those Deathers' album. I'm happy they took a direction they are comfortable with, and I can admit there are moments of genius on Sorceress, like the powerful but soft ballad Will O The Wisp, the end passage on Strange Brew or the entirety of The Wilde Flowers. For laid back, chill people.

Opeth - Sorceress

4*. Insomnium - Winter's Gate
Call it civil duty, an apology for my 5 day-absence or just my never-ending good will to you, guys, but I felt like sharing 2 bonus albums with you. However, these 2 bonus records have 1 thing in common. Can't put your finger on it? It rhimes with "it's less work for me to upload". Both Winter's Gate and the faimous Crimson are 1 song-records, both subgenres of Death and... obviously... both very good.
Winter's Gate is my second album from MeloDeath geniuses Insomnium, talking about some Vikings on a journey of discovering friendship and death by freezing (I was sarcastic). Like Crimson and Pleiades' Dust, it manages effortlessly to make me pay attention through the entire 40 minutes.

Insomnium - Winter's Gate

5*. Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
Everything I said about Winter's Gate can be said about Crimson, even though the subject is very good. A post-apocalyptic society? Count me the fuck in! Also, you might know Edge Of Sanity from Unorthodox (HERE), which is in the same vein as Crimson. Both are as good, but if you know just how great Unorthodox was, you'd listen to Crimson right away.

Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

Done with these 3 albums and these 2 one song-records, our journey through the metal world goes on. Try to guess which band I'll give you next. It rhymes with murder and suicide, but it ain't Mayhem.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu