Incantation: Ranked & Reviewed As I'm Decomposing


I have to let everyone in on a little secret: I am such a massive Incantation fan, that not only are they in my top 5 death metal bands, but I see them as the most underrated band in the genre's history. Let's talk a bit about that, right? If you want to see how to regard a bigger band, or how overrated they are, I think you should consider a simple equation: taking how good their music is, on a numeric scale, and subtracting how talked about they are. A good example would be Metallica, which as a musical outfit would get a 5-6/10 from me, especially in their later years, but when you take away the 10 points they get for the unfathomable attention that comes their way, my opinion on them turns negative. Other similar examples are outfits like Slipknot or Tool. When it comes to Incantation, their music falls in the upper echelon, but the attention they get from the community is miserable for how talented they are. The extreme quality they display, compared to the crumbs of congratulations they get from the everyday metalhead, makes me think they are the ultimate underdogs of the scene. Now, kids, are you ready to feel the marrow in your bones rot to its core? Do you feel your blood clogging together, your eyesight weakening, your organs failing, your mind tiring of fighting against the influence of unholy and blasphemous cavernous death metal? Yeah, boy, let's talk about their albums.


#10: Blasphemy (2002)
Reading some of John's interviews, he defends this album as his favorite, so it may be a surprise to some I'm ranking it so low, but in my opinion this is a largely unspecial album, especially when it comes to the mighty Incantation. The artwork is also pretty bad, and the thing I find most insulting is the outro, which is a 25 minute ambient noise track which does mostly nothing for me. All in all, it's not a worthy package for such a band. It's not bad, but generally I'm insulted by wasted time.
My grade for Blasphemy: 2.5/5 - Skip that fucking outro track

Incantation - Blasphemy
Download Incantation - Blasphemy

#9: Primordial Domination (2006)
This is, as we'd be the wiser the expect from Incantation, still a good record. The artwork is fittingly disturbing, the components are there, the songs are well written and enjoyable, but this record simply struggles to maintain relevancy among the other superior albums by these giants. John says this was released in a time when death metal, especially the old school variety, was looked down upon and very unpopular, so I'm sure that it's a great record in his eyes, but for me, it just isn't special enough.
My grade for Primordial Domination: 3/5 - Just another one in a long line

Incantation - Primordial Domination
Download Incantation - Primordial Domination

#8: The Infernal Storm (2000)
This album is more interesting than it would seem at first glance. It has an even darker atmosphere than many of their other albums and it seems that it has become kind of a cult hit. I would agree that it is often underrated, and many of the songs are more twisted and complicated than your standard Incantation affair, but I still don't feel the need to listen to it over and over. It's a nice album to have around though.
My grade for The Infernal Storm: 3/5 - Cerebral but forgettable

Incantation - The Infernal Storm
Download Incantation - The Infernal Storm

#7: Diabolical Conquest (1998)
I have always felt that this one was the weakest out of the original three albums. It is way more forgettable than their first two records and it never made such an impression on me. I've been told the album is iconic to many, and some go as far as to say it's the last Incantation record worth a shit, but if you know me you'd know I hate those types of people with a passion. John's flame for this type of music could never burn out so fast, and the best proof is that this album is only #7 on this list.
My grade for Diabolical Conquest: 3.5/5 - Unworthy end to their original trilogy

Incantation - Diabolical Conquest

#6: Decimate Christendom (2004)

I really love this album, probably because I took a very personal liking to John himself a while ago, as a death metal icon. It should come as no surprise that, logically, he's my favorite vocalist out of all of them (and they've been a few along the years - 6 in total, to be exact). On this record, he finally stepped up, sick of the revolving door of vocalists, and became the primary member, on both guitar and vocals. People say he isn't good, but I just love his work. I think he fits perfectly and this a very good rebirth album for the group.
My grade for Decimate Christendom: 3.5/5 - Enter John McEntee

Incantation - Decimate Christendom

#5: Vanquish In Vengeance (2012)
This is their most clear comeback album, both in terms of quality and sound. With newfound energy and a more simplified approach to their sound, Incantation managed to kick start this later part of their journey as artists with a very strong statement. The way in which the songs flow together and everyone seems focused on their part is something to behold, and to be completely honest, this is my favorite Incantation era out of all of them.
My grade for Vanquish In Vengeance: 4/5 - Unending hunger and changing times

Incantation - Vanquish In Vengeance

#4: Profane Nexus (2017)

The most recent offering from the gods of musty death metal is coincidentally one of their best as well, as well as most accessible. It feels, to me, integral to their identity and incredibly capable of displaying their unending vision for this type of music. Aside from the artwork being amazing, this album also has some unbelievable lead melodies which enrich the atmosphere immensely. The most obvious example is, of course, one of the best songs of their career, Rites of the Locust. Incantation's place is still firmly held through albums like this one.
My grade for Profane Nexus: 4/5 - Show this one to your kids when you get them into Incantation

Incantation - Profane Nexus

#3: Onward to Golgotha (1992)
This record is special for countless reasons, even aside from showcasing the beginnings and youthful energy of a couple of death metal fans from New York. In my opinion, it is the first record of the genre to completely remove all elements of thrash metal and be pure, rotting death metal. It's honestly incredible to hear, and it's a show of strength and an undisputed masterpiece of those years. To me, it is clear why Incantation-core is so rampant these days. It is fully impossible not to get swept up in the vision and skill on this record.
My grade for Onward to Golgotha: 4/5 - Revolutionary for the genre

Incantation - Onward to Golgotha

#2: Dirges of Elysium (2014)
Man, let me tell you, this album is fucking weird. The structure is complicated and uneven: a bunch of 3-minute songs followed by a mammoth of 17 minutes to close the album. That must be wrong, right? Actually, it's one of the most complete statements made by this band. The shorter songs offer incredible bursts of energy and violence, complete with one of John's best performances. It's honestly an incredible thing to hear unfold, and it's the album I revisit most often from them.
My grade for Dirges of Elysium: 4.5/5 - Overlooked, underplayed, late period masterpiece

Incantation - Dirges of Elysium

#1: Mortal Throne of Nazarene (1994) / Upon the Throne of Apocalypse (Reissue) (2019)

This album is, for me, the highest point in Incantation's career. The songs here are simply outstanding, as you probably have come to expect. I have to say, the grimy production of the original recording helps the album a lot, but we should also talk about the 2019 reissue of the sister album, Upon the Throne of Apocalypse. The order of the tracks is completely reversed, but this record really benefits from an update in production values. If you listen to John, he complains about the way this whole record was mixed, and with the remaster now it sounds like the greatest death metal record 2019 ever saw. The artworks are incredible, the songs still feel fresh, the entire record is an incredible journey. There is such a tremendous flow between the songs on this album, even after all this time, it is the perfect companion to Onward to Golgotha, but it still feels like a better album.
My grade for Mortal Throne of Nazarene: 4/5 - Amazing but the production is lacking
My grade for Upon the Throne of Apocalypse (2019): 4.5/5 - The absolute expression of their potential

Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene

Incantation - Upon the Throne of Apocalypse (Reissue)

In closing, I have to confess, Incantation are what I aspire to be, as a musician. They are prodigies. They are unmoved by trends and fads, yet they rarely make the same album. Most people don't listen to them, yet some fans like me sit patiently and inject every album directly into their bloodstream. As a death metal fan, what could I wish more than to wake up in 30 years and have 10 uncompromising, visionary and loved albums that have inspired countless people? Nothing more.
I know I've been missing since May, but I'm not sleeping. Besides working for a project I want to start off soon, combining powerviolence with slam, I'm working on writing about the top crop of Romanian death metal. Hopefully I'll write it soon.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu